Sometimes a moment stays with us.
That’s what happened with my new book, Animal Snuggles. Years ago, I saw one of my children nestled on my husband’s chest and said out loud, “That looks cozy.” I jotted a note about the scene in my writing book.
Years later, when I came across that note, I immediately recalled the safe, peaceful moment of cuddling that inspired it. A poem started forming in my mind:
Belly to belly.
Cheek to cheek.
Elbow to elbow.
Beak to beak . . .
These words were the beginning of the text for Animal Snuggles, which releases from Sourcebooks eXplore on November 7th, 2023. The book features 13 animal pairs showing physical affection: elephants, swans, penguins, kangaroos, dolphins, and more. Sebastien Braun’s adorable illustrations capture the tender bonds that exist between these caregivers and their young.
The otters on the cover are positioned much like the snuggle that inspired the book—belly to belly. The final spread shows human adults and children who are hugging “heartbeat to heartbeat.”
The child who sparked the idea for this book has now grown into a curious, competent teenager who is full of information about the natural world. I’m happy that the book contains information about each animal pair in the back matter so those who are interested can learn more.
I hope that readers will enjoy sharing this book. What’s more, I hope they do so while snuggled up with a trusted loved one. Moments like those leave lasting memories.
In celebration of all of the affection in our world, I am holding two giveaways!
Draw for bookstore gift certificates!
What’s better than buying a book? More books—for free!
Everyone who pre-orders Animal Snuggles can:
- enter a draw for one of two $50 gift certificates. The winners may select their favorite store, and I’ll arrange for the gift certificate in the funds of your country.
- receive a link to my online launch, which will include puppetry, music, action rhymes, and a reading of Animal Snuggles (available for a limited time).
Here is the link to enter this draw: https://bit.ly/AnimalSnugglesGiveaway
The deadline to enter is midnight (EST) on November 6th, 2023. One entry per person.
As a teacher, I recognize all of the work and care that goes into making a classroom a safe, interesting place to learn, so I am holding a special giveaway for teachers.
Each teacher who pre-orders Animal Snuggles will receive:
- a link to the pre-recorded online launch video for the book that you can share in your school at your convenience,
- a curriculum extension activity guide with ideas for ways to use the book with your students, and
- an entry into a draw for a prize pack of signed copies of my other four picture books (Mama’s Day with Little Gray, Welcome Home, First Morning Sun, and You Are My Friend).
The first ten teacher entrants will also receive:
- a free, online, 25-minute LIVE author visit from me that may include as many students as you like,
- a signed bookplate for Animal Snuggles, and
- temporary tattoos for your students that feature the adorable otters from the cover.
Here is the link to enter the teacher giveaway: https://bit.ly/TeacherGiveawayAnimalSnuggles
The deadline to enter is midnight (EST) on November 6th, 2023. One entry per person. Teachers may enter both giveaways.